NEDBANK CUP SEMIFINAL QUICK FACTS12/04/2018
NEDBANK CUP SEMIFINAL QUICK FACTS
- SuperSport United have been involved in the most number of previous Nedbank Cup semifinals since 2008 with five, though Mamelodi Sundowns and Free State Stars will join them on that number in 2018.
- Orlando Pirates have the most number of Nedbank Cup semifinal wins with four. They have a 100 percent record at this stage of the competition having won all of those games outright. Sundowns could join them on that number in 2018.
- Pirates also have the best scoring record of teams who have played more than one Nedbank Cup semifinal, with eight goals in four games, an average of two per match.
- Sundowns have been the most miserly of the sides in the semifinals, with just a single goal conceded in their four matches to date.
- Free State Stars have the worst record in the Nedbank Cup semifinals with four defeats from their previous four visits to this stage of the competition. They have lost to Mpumalanga Black Aces, BidVest Wits, Sundowns and Pirates.
- Free State Stars have also conceded the most goals at this stage of the competition, 10 from their four games.
- There have been 52 goals scored in the 20 previous Nedbank Cup semifinals, with SuperSport contributing nine of those, the most of any side.
- Baroka FC (twice), Black Leopards (twice), Mpumalanga Black Aces, University of Pretoria, United FC and Vasco da Gama all reached the Nedbank Cup as lower league sides. Baroka’s visit in 2011 is the only time a team from the third-tier has reached this stage.
- The biggest victory in the Nedbank Cup semifinals was when SuperSport defeated AmaZulu 3-0 in 2012 on their way to lifting the trophy. Thabiso Nkoana, Kermit Erasmus and Sibusiso Zuma were on target for Matsatsantsa.
- The most goals in a semifinal game was six when Pirates defeated Free State Stars 4-2 in 2016. Pirates are also the only side to score four goals at this stage.
- Four Nedbank Cup semifinals have gone to penalties:
2010: AmaZulu 1-1 Mamelodi Sundowns - AmaZulu won 4-3 on pens
2011: Baroka FC (II) 2-2 Black Leopards (I) - Leopards won 3-1 on pens
2014: BidVest Wits 2-2 Kaizer Chiefs - Wits won 4-2 on pens
2017: Chippa United 0-0 SuperSport United - SuperSport won 4-2 on pens
- Eight of the 20 previous Nedbank Cup semifinals, almost half, have gone to extra-time.
- Only five of the 20 previous semifinals, a quarter, have been won by more than a single goal margin.
NEDBANK CUP SEMIFINAL RECORDS
|Free State Stars||4||0||0||4||3||10|
|Ajax Cape Town||2||1||0||1||3||3|
|Mpumalanga Black Aces||2||1||0||1||1||1|
|University of Pretoria||1||1||0||0||2||1|
|Lamontville Golden Arrows||1||0||0||1||0||1|
|Vasco da Gama||1||0||0||1||0||1|
NEDBANK CUP SEMIFINALS SINCE 2008
Mpumalanga Black Aces (I) 1-0 Free State Stars
AmaZulu 0-1 Mamelodi Sundowns
Moroka Swallows 2-1 Black Leopards (I)
Ajax Cape Town 1-2 University of Pretoria (I) - after extra-time
Free State Stars 1-3 BidVest Wits - after extra-time
AmaZulu 1-1 Mamelodi Sundowns - after extra-time; AmaZulu won 4-3 on pens
Orlando Pirates 1-0 Mpumalanga Black Aces - after extra-time
Baroka FC (II) 2-2 Black Leopards (I) - after extra-time; Leopards won 3-1 on pens
Mamelodi Sundowns 2-0 Free State Stars
SuperSport United 3-0 AmaZulu
Kaizer Chiefs 2-1 United FC (I)
Platinum Stars 2-3 SuperSport United - after extra-time
BidVest Wits 2-2 Kaizer Chiefs - after extra-time; Wits won 4-2 on pens
Maritzburg United 1-2 Orlando Pirates
Ajax Cape Town 2-1 SuperSport United
Mamelodi Sundowns 1-0 Vasco da Gama (I)
Free State Stars 2-4 Orlando Pirates
SuperSport United 2-0 Baroka FC
Chippa United 0-0 SuperSport United - after extra-time; SuperSport won 4-2 on pens
Lamontville Golden Arrows 0-1 Orlando Pirates
*The views represented are those of the writer and do not necessarily represent those of Nedbank.